- While it’s unfortunate that the Red Sox haven’t signed Adrian Gonzalez to an extension yet, I’m THRILLED that they signed for him. They’ve instantly upgraded their offense at two positions, and kept flexibility.
- While giving up Casey Kelly really stinks, the Sox are stocked in the starting pitching department, and Anthony Rizzo and Reymond Fuentes were expendable (if talented) trading chips. This ought not to turn into a Colon for Sizemore-Phillips-Lee deal.
- Mark Reynolds could legitimately strike out well over 200 times in the AL East. So many strikeout pitchers. Not that the NL West is devoid of strong pitchers, but there’s just more depth in the AL East.
- Now that Jayson Werth has signed for 7 years and $126 million with the Nationals, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Carl Crawford get 8 years and close to $200 million when he signs. Big splash by the Nats, but I don’t see Werth as a $100 million player.
- Adrian Beltre REALLY needs Crawford to sign with anybody but the Angels, as they are the last team with lots of spending money that actually needs a third baseman. Let’s face it: the Mets aren’t exactly in need of a replacement at the hot corner, and nobody else with money is either.
More from the Winter Meetings later!